Friday, November 29, 2013

5 YEARS! And the Anniversary Napkins

Today is SUCH a special day for me! Exactly five years ago, I woke up the most excited girl in the world! It was my wedding day! I was marrying the boy of my dreams! 

Tyson and I met in 2002 at Green Valley High School in Mr. Jarvinen's 6th Period Biology Class. He was quiet, a teaser, the funny guy, the cool guy and was much smarter than me. I was the not very cute blonde girl with braces, acne and extremely loud. 

I always had a little crush on Tyson although he was not very fond of me. He truly thought I was annoying and a little crazy. It didn't take too long for him though to realize how amazing I am. (haha! JUST KIDDING!) But really, it didn't take too long for him to soften his heart and become friends with me. We loved to hang out at friend's houses, play games and watch movies. 

Tyson was in a tragic four-wheeling accident shortly after we became friends. I will always remember the text message that came from his best friend Moose. "Tyson and Drake were in an accident and are in the hospital." I was at the Kelly Clarkson and Clay Aiken concert at the time. My heart dropped as I said a prayer for my new friends. 

Tyson completely lost his memory for a little while. When he got home, I went to deliver cookies to him to make him feel better. When I got there he asked, "Who are you?" I was SO sad! BUT this was the turning point in our relationship. We always tease that Heavenly Father had to knock Tyson on the head for him to realize what was in front of him. When he woke up from the accident, he suddenly was interested in ME! 

We went on our first date to the Blue Man Group and Red Robin. Tyson was on crutches and he always says I didn't help him when he was crippled, but I am pretty sure I did! :) The first time we held hands was while watching a movie at his house with our friends. We both had our hands sitting on our legs (SO apparent that we both wanted to hold hands, but were nervous) and eventually throughout the movie our hands met up. It was the BEST feeling in the world. I really liked him! 

We dated for four years and made amazing memories together! We went on creative dates and 8 school dances. He was there for me when I was very sick and he was there for me when I was told I probably wouldn't be able to have babies. We laughed together, cried together and fell in love at a young age. 

On the last day of school, right before graduation, Tyson took me to GVHS football field for "one last memory at Green Valley." We had a picnic with my favorite Applebees salad and talked about the fun times we had shared and memories that were made the past three years. This was the first time Tyson FINALLY said, "I LOVE YOU!" 

After dating 4 years, it was time for Tyson to serve his mission. Being apart was hard, but absolutely worth it. We were able to grow individually as people, as well as together spiritually. We wrote each other EVERY single week and were able to share our testimonies. I am grateful for the experiences that I had while he was away and I am grateful for the experiences he had in Cambodia. I know we are the people we are today because of them. 

Tyson proposed two weeks after he got home from his mission on the same candle-lit high school football field, in the exact same spot, with my exact favorite Applebees salad that we sat in three years prior. He got down on one knee and of course I said, YES! 

We were married 6 weeks later in the Las Vegas temple for time and all eternity. It was the best day of my life. I was sealed to my very best friend forever! That day seems like yesterday, but I also don't remember my life not being married to Tyson. It seems like he has been there for me... FOREVER! 

The past 5 years have been the very very best! Every year I say it is the BEST year, but it seems like my life with him just keeps getting better! We have had hard times. We have had sad times. We have had to turn to the Lord for a lot of help and support. But we have also had wonderful times. We have had times where we laugh until we cry. We have been blessed beyond measure. We have seen miracles happen together. 


One of my VERY favorite traditions we started on our first anniversary is what we call, "ANNIVERSARY NAPKINS."

We go to dinner every year and take a napkin from the restaurant. While at dinner, we write the TOP 10 THINGS that happened that year of marriage. We have a special box we put the napkins in and will keep forever. I am excited to add a 5th napkin into the box tonight! That box will have 50 memories inside of it! I can't wait for our 50th Anniversary one day, to have 50 napkins and 500 memories inside a box. It will be such a treasure! 

Happy Anniversary to my best friend! I am SO lucky I get to be with you FOREVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment